Sunday, February 26, 2012

Status (old)

Yesterday, Dad became much weaker and less aware of his surroundings. He is awake (eyes open, hands folded on his chest, brushing his face, etc.) but unaware of us (or unable to acknowledge us). He is much less active now.

This morning he was at an awkward angle on the bed, so I picked up his legs and put them back on the bed, and picked up his head to reposition the pillow. He said, "Oh, Michael." I said, "Hi Dad. Do you need anything?" He said, "Yes." I said, "What do you need?" He then faded back into oblivion and incoherence, but he knew I was there. A few minutes ago I held his hand and he clapped my hand with his other one, so he knows I'm there.

This has slightly eased the 24/7 care-giving burden on me. I was able to slip out to grab something to eat just now. I've actually lost some weight in the last few days due to not being able to take care of myself.

I have a strong sense that I'm doing the right thing for my Dad, which gives me strength and focus. I feel that I'll be able to look back on this period of my life with no regrets. I took care of my Dad in his old age.

No comments:

Post a Comment