Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Hospital delirium

The first time I encountered this with my dad was back in December, when he was in the hospital due to the heart attack that precipitated all this. He called me late one night in a panic. "Michael! Something's wrong! I need you!" I got Mother and we went down there. He was convinced that he needed to get dressed and go home, but couldn't articulate why. In his mind there was an urgent need for him to be at home. He got suspicious of me when I tried to persuade him that he couldn't. Of course, he was hooked up to IV's and couldn't just waltz out anyway, even if he had the strength and the nurses didn't try to stop him.

The next day he seemed to be better, and I told him he wasn't in his right mind the night before. He said, "That's insulting. By the way, the Disney people are hosting us for lunch."

There were other occurrences, but none as dramatic or stressful as that first one. One time, he said a man from the city came by and told him I was in the hospital. Another time, he was convinced he saw water cascading down from his hospital room ceiling, above the TV.

If I ever get like this, just shoot me.

No comments:

Post a Comment